Louis SIPP began his family's involvement in wine growing at the end of the First World War.
Louise , pioneering grandmother of the family, acquired the first plots of vineyard while her husband Louis was away on the Russian Front. The first vats were also bought at this time. Some of those old vats are still in use, and can be seen in our wine cellars. At this time grapes were harvested on the Kirchberg hill (today classified as "Grand Cru" land) and carried in baskets on the harvesters' backs down to the presses, wich were situated at the top end of the town. The first wine awards were given from around 1920.
Louise' son Auguste went on to make the firm one of the most well-known wine producers in Alsace between the wars. From the beginning of the 1920's Louis SIPP and his son Auguste began to cultivate business relations with the other wine growers of Ribeauvillé, buying their grapes and producing wine with them. Their intention was to expand the business, while always maintaining a high level of quality.
In 1933 they acquired and equipped a more spacious work site at the lower end of Ribeauvillé, in the property of the Krumb family. They dug deep cellars, with a total area of more of more than
1000 m2, which press up against the ramparts encircling the ancient town of Ribeauvillé.
Shortly afterwards, in 1934, a new wine processing plant was built. It was among the most modern plants of its day.
Between 1945 and 1964 the cellars' storage capacity was increased by around 10 000 hl .